Upside Down Apple Cake
This is a real favourite of mine and with lots of apples around at the moment I highly recommend giving it a go. I like to use cooking apples but you are not beholden to this, you can vary it and use seasonal apples too something that is a little sharp goes well with the sweetness of the cake.
- Line a tin with greaseproof paper, preheat oven to 180’c.
- Cream the butter and the sugar together until it turns a pale cream.
- Break the eggs, whisk and stir into the mixture.
- Add the baking powder to the flour and mix.
- Fold a third of the flour into the mixture at each time. Set aside.
- Peel & chop the apple into thin slices.
- Put the apple slices into the bottom of the cake tin in a fan layer, overlap a little if necessary to get all the apple in.
- Pour the cake mixture on top and place in the oven for 20-25 minutes, until the top springs back or when the knife comes out clean from the centre of the cake.
- Take the cake out of the oven, place on a wire cooling wrack and remove the grease proof paper.
- Serve and enjoy!