Simple Salad Dressing
Salad dressing can be rather calorific when purchasing already made, it is quite easy and simple to make your own and maybe even have a little collection in your fridge to choose from for example, lemon, harissa, garlic etc. Using lemon in dressings helps to not only add a good balance of salt without the need for salt, it creates the umami flavour and has natural preserving qualities too. Therefore you can make a bottle of salad dressing that will last a few weeks too. Or just make it as you go.
This is the base that I like to use when all I want is a simple salad dressing.
- Add the oil into a jar.
- Add half the lemon juice & pepper.
- Put the lid on tightly and shake until the oil emulsifies with the lemon and becomes a cloudy yellow colour.
- Taste. If you think it needs salt, add more lemon.
- Mix and taste again. Add all the lemon if this suits your tastes buds, more if needed.
- If you feel it is missing salt add a pinch at this stage.