Roasted Cauliflower & Parsnip Soup
I love the flavour roasted vegetables bring to soup – roasted red pepper was my first love! The depth, sweetness & flavour full spoonfuls made eating delight. I recently fell in love with a new version through working at Sondes you guessed it, Roasted cauliflower & parsnip soup. That caramelisation creates a smoky sweet flavour to the cauliflower and turns the parsnips soft, buttery and sweet. I roast everything including the onion & garlic in the oven for around 20-30mins, until soft and the cauliflower starts to brown but not burn. Then add the vegetable broth and blend. I pop it into my Vitamix (high speed blender) for it gives it a smooth creamy consistency, however it works extremely well with a hand-held blender too.
- Cut the cauliflower into small florets.
- Cut the parsnips into small batons.
- Quarter the onion/ shallots.
- Roughly cut the garlic.
- Place all chopped vegetables onto a baking tray in a single flat layer.
- Drizzle with olive oil or dot coconut oil around.
- Add fresh thyme or sprinkle dried thyme.
- Roast in the oven for 20-25 mins until the parsnips are soft and the cauliflower is golden.
- Create the vegetable stock by mixing 1 tsp. with 1 litre of water, might need more depending on size of cauliflower.
- Put the roasted vegetables into a high speed blender with the stock or put everything into a saucepan/large bowl to blend all together until smooth, add more water if necessary.
- Add extra seasoning if needed (salt, pepper, thyme).